Sunday, January 26, 2014

Let's Bring Back the Photo Album


Growing up one of my favorite things to do was to flip through our family photo albums and looking at pictures of family events and family members that had passed.  I remember asking my mom about the pictures that I didn't know who or what they were of.  She would tell me stories about events or things that my ancestors would do.  What kind of people they were.

I really think that is where my love for photography came from.  I know that's where my love for genealogy and family history came from.  I am passionate teaching people how important these things are.  And trust me when I say that those people who continue to only keep digital files will one day regret that they didn't take time to print out all those pictures and put them in albums.  Now I am not saying to get rid of the digital files entirely.  What I am saying is that digital photo files should be veiwed as a backup - not your primary photo library.

Think back to when you were a child. I bet you were totally excited about that first 110 mm camera that you got for Christmas.  I bet you can remember the excitement you had when you picked up that envelope of freshly developed negatives.  So why don't people do that anymore?  Why have we gotten so busy that we would rather just keep all of our pictures hidden in our phones and on our computers?

Imagine this....one day your children are faced with the reality that you have passed from this life.  They are planning your memorial service.  They want to make a photo collage of your life - but there is one problem - they can't find any photos of you.  They suddenly realize that you have kept all of your photos on your phone and on your computer. The problem is you have locked your cell phone so that no one is able to access it and you have password protected your computer.  You have just deprived your children and your friends and family from having the chance to remember you through the pictures that you had saved.

How selfish is that?  I know that many of us don't want to think about the reality that one day we will not be here - but just think about the opportunity we have now to preserve our lives and the people that we are for futures to come.  You don't have to get fancy - but you need to start.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Coming Clean…

 I didn’t want to put all of this out in public but after an episode that occurred Friday night in a very public way, my heart is telling me...