Monday, January 27, 2014

First Step - Getting Started with Photo Organization

"Photography is a way of feeling, touching and loving.  What we have caught on film is captured forever...it remembers little things, long after we have forgotten everything." ~Aaron Siskind
What is keeping you from getting your albums completed?  Is it because you are overwhelmed by the thought of getting all of your photos and memorabilia in one place?  Before I moved from Ohio to Tennessee my biggest issue with not being able to get my albums done was the fact that I had pictures and memorabilia everywhere.  In each closet of my house and in the basement.  In my home office and the living room bookshelf - there were photos EVERYWHERE.  Seriously - I am not joking about that.  When we moved, I was able to get gather all of my photos and memorabilia and get it somewhat organized.  However, this is still a work in progress...and likely it will be for you too.

I am so passionate about learning how to get organized and teaching others how to get organized that I subscribe to a weekly newsletter - specifically devoted to giving photo organization tips.  I have learned that the VERY FIRST STEP to getting organized and setting yourself up for success is to "hunt" and "gather.".  What does this mean?  Well, just what you think it means.  Hunt for your photos and memorabilia that you want to preserve and gather them all in one place.  Now, I totally understand that this might take some time - because it took me some time too.  But the truth is, I devoted only 1 hr a day for a full week to searching for the stuff I wanted to keep and that I wanted to bring with me to Tennessee with the ultimate intent of getting EVERYTHING into an album.

By giving myself just 1 hr a day, it forced me to be as productive as possible during that time.  I was able to quickly find everything and get it in one place.  For me, it was tossing everything into plastic totes until I could begin the sorting phase.

Now, you are probably asking yourself "What kind of stuff should I be making sure that I hunt for and gather in one place?" Here's the list:

  1. Heritage Albums & Photos - these are those old albums that Grandma left to you when she passed away.  These are the photos that have been handed down through the family for generations.  There is always SOMEONE in your family has these photos.  The ones of Great-Grandma & Great-Grandpa's 50th wedding anniversary.  The photos of your parents as babies.  You get the idea.
  2. Old media, video tapes & film reels - These old media types can be digitized and they will add depth and dimension to your family stories once you are all finished. 
  3. Printed Photos - This can be very overwhelming and I won't lie - it's gonna be a little scary once you see the shear number of print photos that you have once you get them all gathered into one place.  But, I promise you that this is so worth the effort.  
  4. Digital Photos - Check out my previous blog Get Your Digatal Photos Organized for tips on getting all of your digital photos gathered in one place.  
I am going to leave you tonight with this - I know we are all busy and these kinds of projects are the last things on our list of things to do.  But I promise you that in the end you won't regret it.  Happy hunting!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Coming Clean…

 I didn’t want to put all of this out in public but after an episode that occurred Friday night in a very public way, my heart is telling me...