Friday, February 7, 2014

Tracy's Reading List - Book 1


Last month I post my 85 books to read list.  I have promised by self that I am going to read as many books on this list that I can.  I also thought that if I am going to read these books I should share them with all you and perhaps start some "dialogue" about each book.

Topping the list fo books that I want to read (or in this case finish reading) is "My Life", an autobiography written by former President Bill Clinton.


I wanted to read this book for several reasons.  1.) Bill Clinton was the first President that was running for election during my very first time that I was old enough to vote in a Presidential election.  2.) Agree or disagree with his politics, his administration helped to create some of the most prosperous years in American history. 3.) He was the first president since 1970 to balance the US Budget and maintained a budget surplus from 1998-2001. 4.) the Monica Lewinski Scandal and his "impeachment".  

In my opinion, Bill Clinton was a very charismatic, intelligent president who seemed to care about the "little guy".  I wanted to learn more about this man.  I wanted to see what led him to the most prestigous position in the the United States - Commander in Chief - the President of the United States of America.  (I guess it helps that I tend agree with most (but not all) of his political ideologies. 

Now that I am about 3/4 of the way through the book - which mind you has taken me a lot of time to get through.  I have a better understanding of the man that came into office at the end of the Cold War.  The man who, with a Republican Congress, created a budget surplus.  Created tons of jobs for American People. But also was the center of one of the biggest "sex" scandals in recent political history.  

The son of a nurse who was widowed when Bill was just a baby and grew up in Little Rock, AR.  He married an attorney from Chicago.  He was blessed with intelligence and perserverance that led him to become a Rhode's Scholar, attending University of Oxford and attended Law School at the prestigace Yale University School of Law.  

At times the book does become dry and boring (perhaps one of the reasons it has taken me so long to finish it - I have been reading the book off and on now for probably 2 years or more), it is a very compelling look at the life and thoughts of one of the most loved Presidents since John F. Kennedy.  He shares a lot about his childhood and the things that shaped him into the politician that he became.  He talks about the trials & tribulations of being an American President and being under the microscope. 

This is one of those books that I would recommend to anyone who is interested in the American political system.  You will undoubtedly learn some surprising details of how things work on Capitol Hill.  

Again, regardless of your political affiliation or ideologies, this is a great read for anyone who enjoys autobiographies, biographies and history.  I will warn, however, the book has 55 chapters - plus a forward, epilogue and acknowledgements.  All in all it is a total of 962 pages.  As I write todays entry, I am currently on page 760 - only 200 more pages to go!!!

Happy Reading!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Coming Clean…

 I didn’t want to put all of this out in public but after an episode that occurred Friday night in a very public way, my heart is telling me...