Saturday, February 22, 2014

Why I Love Parenting (and you should too)

Disclaimer:  I had typed this up and saved it and thought I scheduled it to be posted yesterday, but somehow or another (probably me doing something wrong) it didn't post.
Why do I love being a parent?  This is a question that someone asked me the other day.  It forced me to stop and think about my life as a parent and what makes me happy.  For someone like me who is career-oriented and never thought that I would be a parent, I have to say that being a parent has been the most fullfilling "career" I ever explored.

I decided that I would share with everyone why I love being a parent....and why you should love being a parent too.  First, it's about unconditional love.  I have someone in my life that I love unconditionally and that loves me back, unconditionally.  She will always be part of my life.  My daughter brings me so much joy that I sometimes feel like I am going to explode.

I love being a parent because I am raising a child into an adult.  I get to teach her how to be responsible.  I get to teach her right from wrong.  But I also get to sit back and watch her grow.  From an infant to toddler - from toddler to child - child to preteen - preteen to teenager - teenager to adult.  I get to experience all of her milestones, all of her achievements and be there to comfort her when she feels let down or defeated.  As the years go by, I also know that my daughter will become my best friend.  She will be the one who always loves me and I always love her.

Being a parent is hardwork, but it is hardwork that gives a lot of rewards.  One day she will be grown and married and become of parent herself - and then I will be a grandparent - and I will love that too.  Now I cannot lie and say that there are disappointments.  It's not always a fairy tail, but life in general is not a fairy tale.

So why should you love being a parent too?  Because your child deserves it!  You child deserves the unconditional love that being a parent is.  You child deserves a cheerleader behind them all the way and they deserve a person who will help shape them into responsible, loving, productive members of society.  But beyond all of that - you should love being a parent just because you ARE a parent.  You are blessed more than you will every possibly know.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Coming Clean…

 I didn’t want to put all of this out in public but after an episode that occurred Friday night in a very public way, my heart is telling me...