Wednesday, February 19, 2014

A Look at my iPhone Apps


Okay okay - I know - it seems like everyone has a smartphone these days.  And I sure that everyone also has their "favorite" go-to apps on their phones.  But why are they your favorite?  And what do the apps your use say about you?  I know what my apps say about me - I am a little crazy - okay maybe a lot crazy.

I thought it would be fun to share with you the apps I LOVE and why I love them....so here we go.

Aviary Photo Editor - I think I have become obsessed with this app.  This is perfect for those people who can't seem to stop taking pictures with their phones.  It provides filters, a cropping tool, "stickers", blemish remover, frames and even an option to create a photo meme right on your phone.  And when you are done transforming those "ordinary" photos you can share them on Facebook or Twitter right from the app.  The app itself if free, but there are in-app options to purchase more filters, frames and digital embellishments to enhance your Aviary experience.

FourSquare - A social networking experience like no other.  Let your friends know what you are up to by checking in at various locations.  You earn points for check ins (I don't know what the points have to do with it, but it's still fun to see if you can be the leader of all your friends).  Become "Mayor" of the places your frequent the most. But the best thing is, you can unlock specials and deals by checking in at locations who have created a "FourSquare" deal.  I used it to check in at the hair salon I took my daughter to for a haircut.  It unlocked a $3.00 off coupon that I was able to use toward the cost of her haircut.  It was a win-win for me!  Daughter gets the haircut she wants - and mom saves a little money in the process.

Keeper Password & Data Vault - The app itself is free and you can get by using only the free option, but for $10 a year you can have a Keeper Account which will allow you to backup all of your saved information securely via the cloud.  It is a must-have app for people who have a lot of accounts and have trouble keeping track of all those log ins and passwords.  You can also create seperate folders.  I have mine seperated by "work" accounts and "home" accounts.  But you can set it up how you want.

Cozi Family Organizer - Yet another free app with an in-app upgrade option.  I use the Free version and it serves my needs just fine.  It is like a day planner in one app.  Create To Do Lists, keep all of your appointments and family schedules on the calendar, create reminders, shopping lists and there is even a section for you to create an electronic journal.  Use it in conjuction with Flylady.com and it will help you become more efficient, organized and transform how you manage your life, your family and everything that is important in your life.

Weather Bug - This free app allows you to create a "favorites" list - add multiple cities that you want to track weather for.  The app alerts you when a weather alert is active for your area.  Get the 10 Day forecast so you can plan your activities ahead of time.  Be prepared for that severe thunderstorm.  I find myself checking the app multiple times a day.

Weight Watchers Mobile - While the app itself is free, in order for you to take full advantage of its features you must be a WW member - either with the $18.95 per month online subscription or attending the weekly meetings.  This app is a must-have if you are seriously trying to follow the Weight Watchers PointsPlus program.  Keep track of everything you eat by scanning barcodes, using the points calculator or searching the pre-programmed database.  You can read success stories of other WW members who have transformed their lives with the program and find featured recipes.  The calculator also allows you to update your weekly weight after weigh in (and reminds when it's time to weigh in).  You can also log your activity points so that you always have the most up to date daily points progress at your finger tips.

Kindle for iPhone - I love to read.  I found that I stopped reading as much as I used to because it was to hard to carry some of the books around with me everywhere I went. Then I found out that the Nashville Public Library, which I have a card for, offers ebooks for checkout and you can read them on the Kindle!  Well, I don't have a Kindle Fire (although I am starting to think I should invest in one), but I don't need one with this app.  I can "borrow" the ebook from the library, download it to the app and read anywhere I want as long as I have my phone or ipad with me.

Bills Monitor - There is a free version, but for 99 cents you can purchase the full version of the app and there are no restrictions.  This app does exactly what the name says - program all of your monthly bills.  Set reminders for yourself to alert of upcoming due dates.  You can also view reports of where your money is going.

Pocket (formerly called Read It Later) - So do what do you do when you see an article posted on Facebook by one of your friends, but you don't have time to read it right then?  You want to be able to come back to it, but even if you share it on your wall in an attempt to keep it, when you finally get a chance to go back to it and read it, you can't find it on your wall?  Well, the Pocket app is your solution!  It's free and basically what you do is copy the website link, open the app and save the link there.  Then when you are ready to go back and read it - the link is easy to find and easily accessible.  I just recently found this app and I am getting so much use out of it.  I also use Instapaper.  The only thing about that one is it's $3.99 to purchase the app, while Pocket is free.  I paid for it so I use it, but had I found Pocket first - it would be the only "read it later" app I use.

And of course - I can't live without these apps:

Facebook
Facebook Pages Manager
Instagram
Twitter
Tumblr.
Blogger
Pinterest
Shopping List (Grocery List App)
Ancestry.com
Shoebox from Ancestry.com
RootsMagic
YouTube

So what apps can you not live without?  I want to hear from you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Coming Clean…

 I didn’t want to put all of this out in public but after an episode that occurred Friday night in a very public way, my heart is telling me...