Monday, February 10, 2014

Could the NFL make history this year?

News broke today of Missouri's Michael Sam's admission that he is Gay.  Now the sports world is buzzing about the idea the he could be the first openly gay man in the NFL.  Sam could make history.

The thought of an openly gay man in the NFL actually excites me.  I personally think it's been a long time coming.  But, I can't help but wonder - what does this announcement do for his NFL hopes?  While reports say that the NFL is behind him and is supportive of his "coming out," I can't help but think "Are they really?"

We have come a long way when it comes to Gay rights in the United States, but we haven't come far enough.  In 2014 we still do not have sweeping acceptance of same-sex marriage.  We still have a lot of prejudice and hate directed at openly homosexual individuals.  So what is this announcement going to do for Michael Sam's career?  What is it going to do for his life as a whole?

I totally applaud him for being honest and true to himself and having the courage to be the first man in professional football to be openly gay.  I pray that the NFL holds true to their statement that they support him.  I hope that come May, there is a team that drafts this young man to their team and makes him dream come true of playing in the NFL.

My hat's off to you Michael Sam - and I hope that your courage helps other men in the NFL have the courage to "come out" too.  I know in my heart that there are more gay men in the NFL that have been too afraid to make such a personal matter so public.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Coming Clean…

 I didn’t want to put all of this out in public but after an episode that occurred Friday night in a very public way, my heart is telling me...