Sunday, July 15, 2012

Welcome to my world!

Wow!  So, I found out that it is super easy to start a blog!!!  Why didn't I do this before?  For anyone reading this, I want to thank you for stopping by.  I don't know what direction this blog is going to take me or what my vision for it is yet, but I thought it would be fun to share my "world" with you.  I always wanted to write, but never knew how to get started...I guess this is as safe a place as any to share my thoughts, likes, dislikes, interests and feelings.  

I am going to start my blog by sharing what has been happening in my life.  First, I have to start by saying that I have lived the last 35 years of my life in NE Ohio.  I was born and raised a greater-Clevelander...my heart is in Cleveland and I do actually love that place.  But I had dreams and goals for me and my small family (my husband, Jeff, daughter, Karey, our cats, Smokey & Shenita, and our dog, Flintstone.)  In order to reach those dreams and goals, I found myself looking for a new home.  I work for a Fortune 500 company that operates in all 50 states and Australia.  Australia wasn't in the cards (even though it would have been fun to have a kangaroo or Koala for a pet), so I decided to apply for a promotion in Tennessee.  In May, I flew to Nashville for the interview and landed the promotion....this turned our world upside down!  I had 6 weeks to find a new home, pack our belongings, finalize personal business in Ohio and say goodbye to the place that I called home for my entire life.  Talk about stress!  As it ended up, our apartment will not be ready for move-in until July 23rd and I had to start my new position in Nashville on July 9th...this meant being away from my husband and daughter for 2 1/2 weeks.  I arrived in Nashville on July 5th....now staying in a hotel until our apartment is ready so that my husband and daughter can join me.  Nashville is a beautiful, southern city.  Lots of southern hospitality.  People here are extremely nice and I couldn't ask for a better area to live.  I have had struggles though, being here by myself.  My closest friend is in Knoxville - 2 1/2 to 3 hours to the east and my husband's family is in Pulaski - in Giles County, TN about 1 1/2 hours to the southwest.  There are days that I feel extremely alone.  I know this is only temporary and that is giving me hope.  Soon, we will all be together and we will begin this new life as a family. Until then, I have to make the best of the situation. 

I am a recovering alcoholic and also recently sought recovery from an eating disorder.  These two things provide me with a unique opportunity to meet new people and make new friends.  But I have been uncomfortable and it's not easy.  I am searching for AA meetings and OA meetings that I feel comfortable in.  Trying to open myself to meeting people who are different from me....but are they really that different?  Aren't we all there for a common purpose?  I have to remind myself that this is a new adventure, and things aren't always easy and I have vowed to myself that I am not going to give up on any of it.  If I don't give new things a chance how am I ever supposed to learn and grow?

When making the decision to move to Tennessee, we were faced with the reality that we would not be able to bring my cats with us.  Thank God we found a friend in Ohio who lives on a farm and she agreed to take our Smokey and my mom is going to keep Shenita.  At least I know my babies will be well taken care of.  

Here's some pictures I found online of Nashville: 




 Isn't it a beautiful city????  I have fallen in love with it already....and I haven't even seen the entire city yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Coming Clean…

 I didn’t want to put all of this out in public but after an episode that occurred Friday night in a very public way, my heart is telling me...