Sunday, July 14, 2019

The Democrat vs The Republican


It seems that more and more everyday there is a divide in the United States based solely on two political ideologies.  I have always referred to myself as a “Democrat”.  By publicly voicing my political beliefs, it has caused me to see just how much hatred there is between those who prescribe to the Republican ideology and those who prescribe to the Democratic ideology.  The problem, as I see it, is that those who call themselves Republican have a very distorted and unrealistic view of the Democratic belief system. 

The best part about a blog is that it gives people, like me, a forum in which I can voice my thoughts and concerns about topics such as this.  You see, I am tired of reading things that are derogatory toward those who have a more liberal view on our world.  To be a liberal or a progressive is to believe in change for the greater good.  Being liberal is not a belief that the government owes us something or that we should be able to have things free of charge.  In fact, that is so far from the truth that it’s hard to even express it in words.

As a “Democrat”, I believe in the constitution of the United States as it was written and intended by its framers.  I believe in progress for ALL citizens, not just a “chosen” few.  I believe in equality for ALL human beings – regardless of their sexual orientation, gender, color of their skin or their socio-economic standing.  I believe that woman has the God given right to choose what they wish to do with their bodies, even if that choice includes ending an unhealthy or unwanted pregnancy.  I believe that each individual has the right to love who they wish without fear of ridicule or persecution – even if that means they love someone of the same gender.  I believe that our children are our future and we owe it to them to leave them a world that is better than the one that we grew up – this includes environmental conservation and laws that ensure a safe and healthy world for everyone.  I believe that humans have made a lot of poor choices that have divided our country and our world, and it is our responsibility to take actions in which lead to correcting our mistakes. 

The United States constitution stipulates a separation of “Church” and “State”.  The proof is written in the Establishment Clause and Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment.  This is probably the most important amendment as it prohibits Congress from enacting any law which establishes an official religion of the country.  It also provides the freedom to practice any religion which you may choose to practice, provides freedom of the press, freedom of speech, freedom of peaceful assembly (or protest) and the right to bring grievances against the government.  This has been the “rule of the land” since December 15, 1791 – over 200 years!!!  While originally this only applied to the federal government, the Supreme Court in 1925 applied the 1st Amendment to laws enacted by the states as well when it made its decision in Gitlow v. New York. 

With this decision, states were held to the same standards as the Federal Government and should not be permitted to enact laws which restrict citizens from the rights afforded in the constitution.  With this in mind, how do we as, American citizens, continue to allow laws to be enacted that are based on the beliefs of one religion?  Laws which outlaw abortion are being enacted based solely on the beliefs of individuals who practice the Christian faith.  They use their bible as a means of restricting the rights of individuals who do not hold the same values.  In addition, they use their bible to discriminate against individuals who choose to love someone for who they are and not what their gender is.  Banning same-sex unions and banning abortions are only two examples of how the Christian faith and those who follow the Christian ways is in direct violation of the 1st Amendment.  Yet, it is continuing to happen.  Christianity continues to invade our politics and dictate the lives of those who do not follow this faith.  Why do we continue to allow our country’s laws to be enacted based on a religious doctrine?  Isn’t that what our forefathers were fleeing when they left their homelands?  Religion was the basis for wars as far back in history as I can remember – yet, even today, it continues to be the means in which people try to argue for their values. 

Being a Democrat doesn’t mean that I am anti-religion – it doesn’t even mean that I am anti-Christian.  I believe that everyone has a right to hold their own religious beliefs and have their own faith.  I do not believe, however, that anyone has the right to force their beliefs on another.  I no longer subscribe to the Christian faith in my personal life because I do not believe in its teachings or its tactics.  That doesn’t make me less of a person and it doesn’t mean that I am against others who consider themselves to be Christian.  It simply means that I have another belief which is different.  It doesn’t make my belief wrong – nor does it make me less of a human.  It simply is the way it is. 


One day, I hope that we can open our hearts and our minds to each other’s differences. I hope that we can close the divide between opposing points of view and realize that we are all humans first.  We are all meant to work together to ensure that best possible world for everyone – not just a chosen few. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Coming Clean…

 I didn’t want to put all of this out in public but after an episode that occurred Friday night in a very public way, my heart is telling me...