Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Who are you?



Who are you? Seems like a silly question doesn't it?  Well, to me it's not. For years I have been intrigued by history and learning more about where my family comes from.  It is kind of an obsession of mine.  So when I met my husband, I of course asked him all these questions about his family.  Unfortunately, he couldn't answer a lot of them.

Documenting family history wasn't a priority to his family.  He really didn't even know what his ethnicity was - other than "American".  I decided to embark on a journey - researching HIS family history.  This has been a HUGE project and at many times very difficult.  But at the same time it's been fun.

Recently I renewed my subscription to Ancestry.com and it has open the flood gates for information.  Not only in researching his family, but also in filling in the blanks on my family tree.  I have even gotten my sister started on working on her husband's family tree!  I enjoy teaching other people what I have learned about researching your family roots.  I guess it's just part of me.  

I ordered the new Ancestry DNA testing kit that you cn purchase from Ancestry.  You send away a DNA sample and they analyze it and tell you what ethnicities you are and if you have other relatives who have also sent in their DNA, you could get matched with relatives based on your DNA matches.  I am very curious to find out if what I have always been told is true and if in fact I am Native American as my Grandmother told me 30 years ago.  

I will be sure to share what I learn about myself as I embark on this new chapter in my journey.  

There are so many aspects to genealogy that I have even begun to work on and the list just keeps growing of the things I want to accomplish when it comes to documenting my lineage.  Photos to be scanned, newspaper articles to be located, marriage llicenses, death certificates, birth certificates, property records - I better stop while I am ahead.  

So who do you think you are?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Coming Clean…

 I didn’t want to put all of this out in public but after an episode that occurred Friday night in a very public way, my heart is telling me...