Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Memories

I have been thinking a lot lately about my life and how many people have been part of it.  Recently I noticed myself trying to remember things that happened in the past.  Not to dwell on the bad but to cherish the good.  I have realized that all the things that have gone on in my life happened to make me into the person that I am. 

Today a co-worker pointed out how much I know about certain subjects - subjects that I am passionate about.  I laughed, because I thought everyone was like me.  I take pride in where I come from.  Who my friends are, the kind of family that I have and the person that I want to be.  I am a work in progress.  

All of my memories are what make me the person that I.  They drive me to be successful and reach for the stars.  I remember my sophomore year of high school when a bandmate was killed in a car accident.  He was living his dream in the Marine Corps Delayed Entry Program.  I have never forgotten Steve, but I fear a lot of my other bandmates have.  I don't hear anyone mention him any more.  Do they have scrapbook clippings of the news paper articles?  Did they keep a copy of his memorial card?  What about his senior picture?  I still have my copy in my photo album.  

And then there was the younger brother of one of my classmates, who left this earth 15 years ago today.  I remember his laugh and I remember his goofy nature, but I know there are others that knew him better than I.  

I also think about the boy who was shot and killed down the street from house....I think it was 1991 or 1992 - I learned about it from my Aunt who worked for an attorney at the time. I don't really know how she found out about it, but I remember her calling our house and telling us that a young boy was found dead down the street from us.  Do people remember him?  Do people still mourn his untimely departure from the physical?  

As I sit back and reflect on my life I realize that I have been through a lot in the 35 1/2 years I have been walking the planet.  I am no stranger to loss but I am also no stranger to the enjoyment that life can give.  Sometimes I forget to be grateful for what I do have.  

Today, I am going to try to remain grateful.  Grateful for my husband and my daughter.  Grateful for the dog that I am allergic to, who makes me mad but also makes me laugh so hard I pee my pants.  Grateful for my job - no matter how stressed I can get at times, I realize that if it weren't for my job, I wouldn't have a career and would have no means of supporting my family.  I am grateful for the roof over my head and the car that I drive.  I am grateful for the bounty of friends that I have made over the years.  I am grateful that I have learned how to live a good, spiritual life and follow a path that is right for me.  

I am opinionated and blunt, but that is what makes me who I am.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Coming Clean…

 I didn’t want to put all of this out in public but after an episode that occurred Friday night in a very public way, my heart is telling me...